Monday, September 29, 2008

Ouch!

The title of todays e-mail is ouch... It is the name I have chosen because of the amount of e-mails that I have in my inbox.... a big zero... haha... it's all good.. that just means I can write you more... which is great because I have lots to tell... all the time because a lot goes on in a day.... good bad... both...

This week...
This last week was rough but at the same time amazing! Like I kinda said in my last email, which was really short and terrible.. it didn't really say anything.. and I spelled like everything wrong.. I was on a French keyboard.. of course.. soo ya and we were at an internet cafe so... ya I didn't have much time... 
But....this week.. we did not teach a ton of lessons but the lessons we taught were to our 5 SOLID progressing investigators... right now we have 5 and possibly 9 people ready for baptism...Our progressing investigators are Paolo, Iness and Javier, Elias, and Joseph one of the two men that we found last Monday.. and I don't have much else to talk about so I will tell you the story of Joseph because it is amazing... 

So last Monday we had some time before our rendez vous with President Woodland and one of our investigators (Elias) so we decided to go contacting. We went contacting in an area called Botanique.. well we met a real drunk guy named Fred... he was pretty cool and he was friends with all the Muslims so we weren't getting hassled.. he was nice.. so we got his number after a long talk and set up a time to go meet with him... then.. we were in that area for about an hour or so, and we decided that we should start heading back to the office.. so that we wouldn't be late for our rendez vous. So we did... but when we were on the Metro, Elder Musters decided that we would stop by this guys house that he kinda knew... and when I say kinda I mean.. he knew where he lived and that they had had a lesson with him a long time ago.. he didn't know his name.. he didn't know what floor he lived on... he didn't know anything.. so we went to his building.. and we were searching for his name we didn't know.. just in case we recognized it... We tried calling him.. and ya nothing happened... so we were just sitting there waiting for something to happen.. and then a nice older African man walked down... (Joseph) ... he asked us if we wanted in... and we told him we were just waiting for someone.. and he was like oh ya, who?  And we were like.. we don't know his name... or which floor he lives on we just know that it was this builiding and we have his phone number.. and he was like...OK.. then he started to ask us questions... he asked us who we were... where we were from.. if we were TJ's (Temoigne Jehova) ...Jehova's witnesses..and we told him no... and he asked us if we were Catholic, Protestant... and we said neither and that kinda confused him.. but then we shared that we have the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ on the earth... and that we have a Prophet, and he was like... ok whatever... so we got his number and his name and gave him a Joseph Smith pamphlet and he went on his way.. well.. we left just after he did.. and we actually caught up to him on the road because he was walking soooo slow because he was reading the pamphlet!!! so... ya later in the week we were trying to set up some rendez vous because people were being flakY.. and we called Joseph and asked if there was a time we could come over.. and he said that we could come right now.. but that he only had about 20 minutes.. so we rushed to his house.. and ya he was so excited we asked him what he thought and he was like, I have never heard of this before... and he said he was just searching for his path.. so we were like awesome... so he was excited he asked where he could get a Book of Mormon.. we gave him one.. and explained more about it.. he loved it and the spirit was really strong.. he also asked to go to church with us.. and of course we accepted.. well.... Sunday, yesterday was awesome.. we went and picked him up and he came out in a very nice suit with his Book of Mormon in hand.. he came to all 3 hours with us.. took two pages of notes.. asked if he could get a Triple and a Bible because in priesthood we talked about believing the Bible to be correct if it is translated correctly so he wanted the right Bible... he loved Sacrament Meeting.. he loved singing the Cantiques.. he loved it and I actually sat by him the whole time and helped him with things.. he said he was learning English and I said I was learning French and I said we could learn together.. then I told him I started learning 3 months ago.. and he told me he wished he could speak as well I could after 3 months.. that made me happy... but anyway.. after church.. we asked what he thought and what he felt.. and he told us extremely sincerely that he thought that he had found what he has been looking for.. and that as soon as he got home he was going to talk to his kids about the church and as soon as his wife got home from vacation in Africa he would talk to her.. we have meetings set up with him this week and he has already told us that he is coming to General Conference this weekend with us.. so ya.. he is amazing.. and he is why I said maybe 9 ready for baptism.. because of his family.. anyway I must go but I thought I would just share that awesome story with you.. also we took Elias to a baptism in the other ward.. and it was sooo perfect.. .. anyway, love you all.  Mom, I got the pictures they were sweet.. Clint the house looks good.. and ya.. I will talk to you later....
Elder Simonson

No comments: